top of page

All about amalgam, why we only offer mercury free fillings

Updated: Aug 6, 2020

If you're a patient with us you are familiar with the fact that we strive to provide the best care possible. One of the many ways we do that is by refusing to use amalgam (a.k.a silver fillings).

Aside from containing mercury, which has at least 116 side affects on the human body, they also have many other negative oral affects.

• Silver fillings are not visually pleasing as they are noticeable in the mouth.

• Metal expands and contracts when it comes in contact with hot and cold temperatures causing extreme tooth sensitivity.

• Prone to micro-leakage that causes bacteria growth and may lead to a root canal.

• Doesn't properly bond to your tooth as the body see's it as a foreign material.

• Mercury poisoning. Learn all about it and how amalgam fillings can cause it at

So what do we use instead of amalgam?

A composite material that is:

• BPA free

• Visually pleasing as the material matches your natural tooth color

• Restorative to the tooth unlike a "filling" of the tooth

• Bondable to the tooth as the physical properties are closer to the original tooth structure. Want to know more about the scientific properties that create our BPA-free composite view the Material Safety Data Sheet and the BPA letter provided by the manufacturer.

Silver Filling(s) Replacement The Environmental Protection Agency says that U.S. dental offices are the number one contributor of mercury to our local waste and water treatment facilities. Dental offices alone produce almost 3.7 tons of mercury a year! Being a serious environmental and health concern we took it upon ourselves to use the highest quality equipment and procedure standards to ensure amalgam is separated and disposed of properly. In fact, our standards for mercury disposal are so high our office has been certified by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology.

Amalgam Safe Removal Protocol

1. All removal is done under cold water spray with copious amounts of water. 

2. An Isolite is placed in the patient’s mouth which creates a negative pressure to both remove the amalgam aerosol as well as the amalgam particles. A high volume evacuator tip is used as needed to remove the larger particles of amalgam.

3. All patients are fitted with a nasal source of pure oxygen to assure that the mercury vapors are not being inhaled through the nose.

4. After the fillings have been removed the isolite is removed and rinsed.

5. After fillings have been removed the patient’s face is wiped with gauze to remove any stray amalgam dust.

6. We have activated charcoal in the office for patients to take before the procedure has begun.  The activated charcoal will absorb any small particles in the event that they are inadvertently ingested.

7. Our facility has been built with 10% fresh air replacement at all times to insure the quality of the internal air for the inhabitants (patients and team).

8. The mercury is then captured in a Mercury filter before the effluent is allowed to leave the building and enter the municipal treatment system.

9. All left over amalgam is placed in a container and shipped to an amalgam and mercury safe disposal facility.

Certificate from the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology

1,295 views0 comments


bottom of page